Ah Ya, the Minnesota State Fair! For many it marks the end of summer, returning to school and time to harvest. For the Food Bros it means it’s time to eat as many fried foods as possible and watch the freak show that is the people who come to the fair. Not saying we don’t enjoy walking through the art building, perusing the new items for sale in the grandstand or catching one of the musical acts going on around the fair grounds. But bottom line is we are there to eat (and laugh)!
We have been talking about The Minnesota State Fair for months now and when the new food items are released every year it’s almost like Christmas for us. This year there are over 40 new State Fair foods to choose from. So what are we excited for in 2013?
1. Porketta Pig Wings from Mancini’s Al Fresco (on Carnes Ave., near Nelson St.) – pig wings are awesome on their own and we are always looking for a good steak sandwich
2. North Woods BBQ Taco from San Filipe Tacos (Food Building) – BBQ pulled pork topped with bourbon syrup and fresh coleslaw, served on a house-made corncake then wrapped in a flour tortilla. Sounds like a BBQ tamale, I’m in!
3. Cocoa Cheese Bites from Axel’s (Outside Food building) – Wisconsin cheddar cheese nuggets breaded with cocoa puffs, fried and served with a chocolate dipping sauce. Sounds strange, but then again we like it strange…real strange.
4. Pork Belly Sliders from O’Gara’s (Corner of Dan Patch Ave and Cosgrove St.) – Thick cut slices of pork belly bacon topped with red cabbage slaw and O’gara’s sauce. Do we really need to discuss why these sound great? Let’s just hope they live up to our expectations.
5. Deep Fried Bread Pudding from O’Gara’s (Corner of Dan Patch Ave and Cosgrove St.) – Bite sized cubes of deep fried bread pudding served hot and drizzled with caramel sauce. If these are done right, they could be amazing. Hopefully they have a nice crunch on the outside and are so soft and sweet on the inside. Awwww Skeet Skeet!
Food Bros State Fair Must Haves:
2. Cheese Curds from Mouse Trap (Food Building) – the cheese curds all cheese curds are compared to
3. Ice Cream from Dairy Goodness Bar (Dairy Building) – fresh made soft serve that’s so smooth and creamy it will make you slap your mamma
4. Onion rings from Danielson & Daughters (just outside the Food Building) – thin, crispy and salty awesomeness (you’re going to need a beer with these)
5. Fish Taco from San Filipe Tacos (Food Building) – fish tacos in Minnesota? Yes please
6. Frozen Custard from Custard’s Last Stand (under the Grandstand ramp) – puts Culvers to shame but beware this custard sits heavy in the belly
7. Carl’s Gizmo Sandwich (west side of Cooper St) – try if you want but there’s no imitating this Italian sandwich in your own kitchen
8. Hawaiian Shaved Ice (Dan Patch Ave) – on a hot day at the fair we have been known to get three or four
9. Fudge Puppy from Granny’s Kitchen Fudge Puppies (outside the food building) – Belgium waffle on a stick, c’mon now!
10. Teriyaki Chicken on-a-stick from Chan’s Chicken on a Stick (South side of Judson between Nelson and Underwood) – what Asian restaurants wish their teriyaki tasted like
The Food Bros usually spend 4 or 5 days at the fair every year we have tried a lot of food there, so if you have any questions or if you know some hidden gem we are overlooking please let us know in the comments below.